I would like to provide you with some practical information to help you understand what to expect with online sessions and also provide some tips to make sure the process runs smoothly.
Guidance for clients new to on-line appointments
It might feel scary or uncertain to have some sessions online but they can be as effective as meeting face to face, so long as we follow the sensible tips below. My goal is to create a safe and contained space to work with you. If there are some material/documents that we need to use for the sessions I will make sure that I have emailed this through to you before the session.
Using the online platform Zoom:
Zoom is an encrypted service and is free for you to access and download.
A video on how to use Zoom is here :
If we are using Zoom I will send you an email before the session which contains a URL link. When you open Zoom, it will ask you to enter the meeting number so that you can join me, or simply click the link. Please do NOT join the meeting until the agreed time.
Please make sure that:
- You have your computer or mobile set up before the session commences.This includes having your microphone and video turned on, and being up to date with software updates.
- Your computer or mobile is positioned at a sensible height so that I can clearly see your face and that the camera is at eye level.
- It is very easy to hear background noises e.g. animals and washing machines and kettles etc. so please make sure you are in a quiet location.
- You will not be disturbed for the duration of the session and that the door to the room you are sitting in is closed.
- If you are using your computer, you have your mobile out of reach and with the sound muted so that it is not a distraction.
- You do not have your back to a window or light – this can make it very hard for me to see you clearly.
- That there is adequate lighting in the room you are in.
- You have a box of tissues nearby.
- You have a glass of water nearby.
- You have not been drinking alcohol or taking drugs before any sessions where they may still be in your body.
- You do NOT record the sessions.I will not be recording any of our sessions UNLESS I have prior consent from you and this has been mutually discussed and agreed and a consent form has been signed by you.
- You join the meeting at the agreed time.
Sometimes people use headphones during online sessions. I have so far found that if we can both create a quiet space then there is no need for headphones.
As with face to face sessions, the confidentiality agreement we signed together still applies. In addition, my terms and conditions that you signed at the beginning of working with me are still applicable. I will require 48 hours notice if you wish to cancel or postpone an agreed session.